Friday, February 15, 2008

Photo Tour of Osan

Ok, I promised you all a tour of Osan AB and that's what you're gonna get. I spent a couple of hours walking around the base yesterday and now here are the photos for you all to enjoy.
I started my tour the way I start every day... stepping out of my dorm building. This is it, building #475. I live on the first floor and... yep, that's about it.

Next up is the Pacific House Dining Facility. The folks working there get upset when you call it a "chow hall" but that's what I call it. It is also the oldest dining facility in the Air Force, which explains some of the work going on there right now.
Here is a picture of one of the new family apartment towers that they are building on base. One they have already completed and have people living there. This one, and one other, are almost completed and ready for people to move in. There is a movement currently to try and get Osan recognized as a regular overseas assignment and not a remote tour. This new housing seems to be part of that vision.

Next to the base chapel is this bell and plaque. They are here in remembrance of the first American casualties of the Korean War.

This is the BX mall. It was opened in late 2004 and houses not only the BX, but also a shopette, military clothing store, food court, post office, barber shop, beauty shop, ceramics store, furniture shop, alterations shop, and many more vendors all in one building. It is massive.

Here is the base theatre. It is located right across from the BX and was upgraded in 2004 as well. The seating is extremely comfortable and they have movies playing nearly every day, unlike some bases back in the States.

The Osan Fitness Center is one of the top fitness centers in the Air Force's Pacific Command. It has state of the art cardio and weight materials, 2 basketball courts, racquetball courts, and a 1/9 mile long indoor track. It is also open 24 hours a day which makes it easy to get in and exercise at anytime.


On static display across the street from the gym is this A-10. It is one of the toughest planes in the US arsenal, and a great looking plane to boot!


I started up the hill from the gym following Millett Rd. and came across this memorial. The plaque is all in Korean and is a memorial to the Korean Air Force's airmen from the AF Chief of General Staff General Chon Yun-Soo.

Following Millett Rd. farther I came to my main destination on this tour... the top of Hill 180. I think the memorial plaque says it better than I can, and since it is kind of hard to read on the picture I will recreate it for you:

Hill 180
Bayonet Hill

On this site, 7 Feb 1951, Company E of 27th Infantry Regiment was pinned down and surrounded by 300 enemy soldiers. Out of ammunition, Captain Lewis L. Millett led the remainder of Company E on a bayonet charge, killing 47 and wounding 61 enemy soldiers -- regaining control of the hill. Captain Millett received the Medal of Honor for heroism. It was one of the fiercest battles of the Korean War.

Back on my walk through the base I started toward the gate and saw the ever present line of taxis waiting for passengers. Taxis are one of the most popular ways to get around base, but at a minimum of $2.30 per trip I prefer to walk and save my money.

Speaking of money, this is where a lot of the money from Osan is spent. It is the Shinjang Shopping District, although most people on base call it "Downtown". It is about a 5 block web of shops, bars and clubs aimed specifically at the airmen and soldiers from Osan. It is also a place I steer clear of most of the time. Too many folks get stuck in a rut of going out there every night and they don't see anything else in Korea. But it is good for getting cheap souveniers.And now as I finish my photo tour, here is a picture of the main gate at Osan. As you can see it is built with a Korean architectural style and is a welcome sight on the way back from downtown.

Well, thank you all for going with me on this little tour. I hope it gave you some idea of where I'm at and the things I see everyday.

1 comment:

Craft Well Man said...

This is a great article with fantastic photos.
Medallions
Etched Plaque