Saturday, September 20, 2008

Rise of the Viking

Ok, figured I needed a silly title here so that's what you get. The reason for this title is because of the most recent Defense Language Proficiency Test (DLPT) that I took. On Friday I had the opportunity to test in Icelandic... no really, it's true. And not only that, but I am the only person in the Air Force who has taken the test. For that reason alone it is pretty awesome.

Anyway, since getting here to Korea this tour I have had the chance to test in more languages than just Korean... and of course, they have all been Scandanavian languages. Back in March I took the Swedish test, since that is the language I learned to speak on my mission. Then in June I got to take Norwegian. So here it is September and I finally allowed our Command Language Program Manager to talk me into taking Icelandic... he's still pushing for me to take Danish as well, and I expect that I will be taking that in the near future too.

I must say though that Icelandic was very hard, even with my background in Swedish. I was able to get some of the words pretty easily and also pick up a lot from context, but there was a lot that I had no idea on. I guess having more than about 2 days to study over the language would have been good, but I still did fairly well considering.

Kind of surprising and funny that I would have to come to Korea to test in Scandanavian languages.

No comments: